the road less traveled...




Monday, November 2, 2009

chapter 59: day one, and all's well. sort of.

day 1: 1689 words.

ack. yes, ack.

after working a full day at the job, i have managed to focus my mental energy on getting my novel rolling and reached my daily quota of 1,667 words. i even surpassed in by 22 words...killed it!

i now have two characters, the scene partly established, and some admittedly hackneyed prose. it was somewhat more difficult than i thought it'd be to shut off my angry internal censor, though. he's clearly not happy that i'm letting myself suck. i don't deal well with sucking.

but the point of this excercise is to get the words down on paper, so i guess i've reached my goal.

here's hoping it comes easier and gets better on day two.

ps - shut up, brain.
pps - if anyone knows a good character name for a clumsy, clueless, do-gooding journalist who's in over his head in africa, i'm taking suggestions.
ppps - the first person to suggest "Brennan Leffler" gets hit with a barrage of obscenities.

1 comment:

Mojgan Fay said...

I found it very hard not to go back and edit and it was such a slow start. But thanks to early mornings and writing before work, I'm caught up to daily quota. Phew.

Name suggestion: Ned Carlton?