the road less traveled...




Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chapter 76: Near death experience

Prologue:

-Wild animals sighted: Buffalo, bears, deer, foxes, coyotes, caribou and a beaver
-Near death experiences: 1

Foreshadowing!

I have seen dozens of animals during the last seven weeks, but the moose have been invisible. I've seen a female, but not the more impressive male. Insert joke here.

Upon entry into Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland, I was greeted by this sign depicting a massive and apparently mange-ridden, homicidal moose crushing a car.


Also, a sign saying there have been 23 moose-vehicle accidents in the park this year. I've driven through dozens of moose territories without incident, so I didn't really pay much attention.

After seeing evidence of continental shift in the mountains of Gros Morne Park that proves Europe and North America were once one, I decided to embark on a crazy day of driving to see North America's first Viking settlement, to the north in L'Anse Aux Meadows, then a mad dash back to the ferry for Nova Scotia by 7am the next morning. That's about 400 km one way, then another 700 or so in the opposite direction.

That presented the problem of driving in the dark, when most moose encounters happen. This time, the decision to risk it resulted in a split second of sheer horror, followed by several hours of paranoia.

I got back to Gros Morne about 10pm. I was thinking about the long stretch of driving, and looking ahead for animals on the road. All of a sudden, a monstrous THING with long legs and massive antlers materialized out of the dark in my peripheral vision. No warning, no nothing. Thanks a lot Bullwinkle. I yanked the wheel to the right, and avoided it by maybe a foot.

I'm embarassed to admit that there's just the slightest possibility I may have screamed like a girl. I'm not sure. I stopped and looked back to see the thing trot into the woods. It was way bigger than Silken, and would have absolutely demolished her, with me inside. I can say without a bit of exaggeration that it was one of the most sudden and terrifying things I have ever experienced.

After allowing myself a brief sobbing spell, I calmly got back on the road. And spent the next 6 or 7 hours going roughly the same speed as a Conservative government tackling climate change.

I've seen enough moose now, thank you.

No comments: