the road less traveled...




Tuesday, August 19, 2008

chapter 38: a journey of a thousand miles...

"a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
-lao-tzu

when i went to ghana to try and build human rights reporting capacity in the media, i knew results would come slowly, if at all. i had a couple of successes, but many disappointments as well. the story of humu, a muslim girl who was being forced to quit school and get married, was one of the ones that got away. we got her back in school briefly, but all indications were that she would be forced to marry when the media and police pressure was off. (read the full story here: http://www.jhr.ca/fieldnotes/view.php?aid=1137)

but recently, my colleague muftaw mohammed, who was instrumental in our coverage of that story told me humu had managed to complete school and is looking forward to continuing her education. it's a big victory for a muslim girl in ghana. muslims face bigger hurdles to education and career success, particularly the girls, who are often treated like chattel. humu's success can serve as an example to her community, and open up new possibilities for so many disenfranchised young people. it's also a great example for young reporters like muftaw that they really can help change things for the better. here is the email i got from him:

Dear Bro,
Today my heart is glad that I did not lose in my fight against the violation of Human Rights. So I say kudos and more greetings to your elbows. All the credits to you for your leadership and training and man, I must say am really missing big time the good times when we used to work, dine and share ideas together. More especially, your efforts in igniting up my spirit when I am down.

All theses citation are occasioned by the phone call I had this morning from Humu’s mother to the effect that Humu has graduated from her computer course in Accra and is currently in kumasi with the mother waiting for her JHS certificate to continue with her education.

Now the mother and other family members who thronged the DOVVSU offices and I believe you remember that day, they are all now looking for you and I to offer us their vote of thanks and to crown us as heroes but I told them you have gone back to your home land.

So I say gracias to you.

We never walk alone.

No comments: